As a writer, I’ve poured my heart out time and time again on the concept of love. There’s a universality to this topic that can connect with every single being on this earth. We’re all searching for human connection, for our ‘person,’ for a relationship that makes us feel even more complete than we are on our own. We all want to understand what it means to love someone, and to do so without losing ourselves in the process. We all want to feel deeply, but avoid heartbreak. And if we somehow get crushed, we are desperate to find a way into healing and back to ourselves.
Love is universal in the fact that we all experience it, all crave it, and all will inevitably be broken by it. And yet, we’re all still healing, and searching all over again.
I’ve collected quotes on love that I’ve written throughout the years and compiled them into this piece. (Small reminder that these are copyrighted! So please, if you share one of the images, credit me @_marisadonnelly! 😄) Hopefully this collection can be a reference, an encouragement, and a place for you to revisit and remind yourself of who and what you deserve to find.
1. “Love isn’t a fairytale, it’s a complicated, messy, perfectly-imperfect story you write day by day.”
2. “Love is far too beautiful to be wasted chasing something that doesn’t spark, doesn’t glow, doesn’t build a fire over time—one that both warms and ignites.”
3. “No matter the circumstance, someday love will find you and show you, even in your fullness, what your heart was missing. Someday love will find you and reveal all the magical parts of you that were hiding beneath your skin. Someday love will find you and remind you of your inherent worth—a worth that exists regardless of your relationship status.”
4. “Stop chasing love. Let it come to you. Let it bloom when the timing is right. Let it be beautiful, all on its own.”
5. “Love isn’t supposed to be this boring thing, this basic connection with another breathing, beating being. We aren’t supposed to feel “okay,” instead of alive. Or “content” instead of passionate. We’re supposed to fall into people crazily, freely, wonderfully, and with everything we have. We’re supposed to feel, and fall in, and fall down. And experience something extraordinary.”
6. “Why do we believe the search for love is the search for ourselves? When in reality, love is not about looking to be solved, but to be complimented. To grow together, yet separately, as two distinct and beautiful beings.”
7. “If you’re going to love, love like you’ve never been hurt. Like you’ve never experienced the pain of a broken heart, or the dishonesty in someone’s voice.”
8. “Love is a movement towards one another, despite the impermanence of this world.”
9. “Love is actually challenge. It’s meeting someone who pushes you to be greater, bigger, brighter than you were before. It’s finding someone who you see yourself fighting battles with, and for. It’s discovering that your life was incredibly full before, but falling into them has made it even more complete somehow.”
10. “Real love is knowing all the ways this world, this person, and you are imperfect—but believing in the fact that you will make a beautiful relationship, regardless of everything that says you won’t.”