My twenties have been beautiful, messy, tumultuous years (and they’re not even over yet). I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know what I’m doing (it’s all a process) but what I’ve learned is that there are mistakes you should actually make in your twenties. There are things you should fail at, plans that should unravel, and lessons you should learn.
And all of these things, although negative at first glance, are actually good.
1. You should spend way too much money on something.
Like a fancy dinner, a dress, a massage, a spa manicure – and learn the value of treating yourself.
2. You should do something spur-of-the-moment.
A trip to a new state, a spontaneous concert ticket, a swipe-right and ‘Yes, I’ll meet you for drinks.’ And realize how fun it is to live life unplanned sometimes.
3. You should date the wrong person.
And discover that there truly isn’t a “wrong” person in love – just lessons learned. Now you know what you won’t settle for again, and what you deserve.
4. You should live in different places.
Simply for the experience. Expensive places, busy places, strange places, cheap places, faraway places. You’ll challenge your thinking, your sense of comfort, and find new places where you belong.
5. You should get way too drunk.
At least once. And realize that sometimes you need to let loose, but it’s important to know your limits.
6. You should say too much, and sometimes say too little.
Because this helps you discover what’s wrong and right for you, what really matters, and what you’ll never regret leaving your lips. You’ll realize, too, that some things are better left unsaid sometimes.
7. You should cry over someone who doesn’t deserve it.
And learn that people leave our lives for a reason, even when it hurts.
8. You should follow the rules sometimes, and sometimes break them.
Because yes, authority figures and parents know best sometimes. But sometimes you need to figure out the answers for yourself, too.
9. You should fall shamelessly in love.
And know that no matter the outcome, sometimes you feel things deeply, and that’s okay. Love is worth it.
10. You should drift from, and fight with people you love.
Because in order to change, to grow, and to become your own person, you have to face conflict sometimes. And you have to recognize that everyone’s changing – it’s a part of life.
11. You should lose your faith.
And discover it again, in the same or in new ways.
12. You should forget who you are.
And as you stumble, fall, get hurt, and regain your footing – you’ll find who you’re meant to be.
Featured Image Credit: Kinga Cichewicz
[Home » Living Your Best Life » ]